A cell phone signal booster (also known as a cellular repeater) is a solution that takes an existing outside cell signal, amplifies it, and then broadcasts the boosted signal to an area inside of a building or vehicle that needs better signal.
How a Cell Phone Signal Booster Works
A cell phone signal booster system is composed of an amplifier, an outside antenna, one or many inside antennas, and cable that connects all of the components together. The signal booster system works in the following way:
- The outside antenna receives the existing outside cell signal.
- The existing outside cell signal is passed over a cable from the outside antenna to the signal amplifier.
- The signal amplifier boosts the cell signal significantly.
- The boosted cell signal is passed over another cable to one or many inside antennas.
- The inside antenna(s) broadcasts the boosted signal to the inside area that needs better cell signal.
The system also works in reverse. When a mobile device is being used inside, the signal goes through the system in reverse, is boosted, and then the strong signal is broadcasted towards the external cell towers.
What a Cell Phone Signal Booster Does NOT Do
A cell phone signal booster requires an existing outside cell signal to boost. It cannot create it's own cellular signal, so if there is not an existing outside cell signal available, then a cell phone signal booster will not work.